In feng shui we look at where that waterfall of vital chi is going. It is hitting a dead end and causing the chi to stagnate? Is it rushing out the door at the bottom of the stairs and taking all of its vital benefit with it? Is it rushing into the babies nursery and creating an unrestful space there?
The goal of feng shui becomes to slow the flow of chi down and direct it so it isn't harshly affecting anything at the bottom of the stairs or flowing out of the space! Here are some ways that we do that:
1. Add a chandelier or hang faceted crystals about the stairway to "lift" the energy.
2. Place artwork in a way that it raises the chi. (Place pictures straight across rather than slanted down the stairs to further correct the downward flow.)
3. Choose artwork with upward flowing energy. Images of trees growing "up", mountains that point "up" or images that encourage upward energy (like a hot air balloon floating or birds flying) are great ways to correct the down flow.
4. Place plants at the bottom of the staircase or along the treads to add more "upward" energy.
5. Use paint to decorate the treads or carpet the stairs with a busy pattern (preferably not stripes)
6. Place an area rug with a busy pattern at the bottom of the stairs.
7. Place something sturdy on the door/wall at the bottom of the stairs to slow or redirect the chi.
These are all simple suggestions that make a big difference in how chi flows in your house and most importantly to different areas of your life! Take a look at your staircases .... what corrections do you think you need to make?
Feel free to post pictures or questions of your staircase challenges or corrections on the Feng Shui Pathways facebook page.
* staircase image by Sarah Commerford